View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Its more I think there is a lot of hype around them, especially where people buy 2 grand worth of tacticool accessories and such. And its a good rifle, not a great one. Better options out there. As for every weapons program being over-budget, I think its just a lot of stalling to extend the AR platform.
What hype do you mean? It seems to me like there have always been some vehement critics of the AR, particularly the people who insist that service rifles should still be 7.62x51mm NATO. And then there are those who actually argue that the AK is a "better" weapon. I feel like the AR receives way too much criticism.

I don't think the other programs going over-budget is "stalling". The XM8 was in many respects an inferior weapon to the M4, while the 416 is really not enough of an improvement to justify the per-unit cost (plus, both are H&K weapons, and the DoD has a terrible history with H&K). And the OICW/XM29 was just a plain dumb concept from the get-go. The SCAR may turn out to be better, but we'll have to see.