View Single Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
What about over penetration? Law enforcement don't take AR-15s into houses to clear them? If there's civilians involved, it's best to take a weapon that fires bullets that wouldn't go through a bad guy and hit the man behind him. Do they make frangibles in 5.56 bullets?
Over-penetration is basically a myth. Some 9mm loads will penetrate more than .223 at the range in which CQB typically occurs. It varies depending on the specific make. But the types of .223 loads used by LE are not nearly as powerful as the NATO standard 5.56x45mm (SS-109).

Haven't you noticed that there aren't very many SWAT teams using MP5s anymore? Most of them are using M4s and derivatives nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Carrying one is easier? Don't really think so, It puts my wrist at an awkward angle totin any PG weapon around while a standard stock rests confortably. ARs are also, well, incredibly overrated. I can't wait till its replaced in the U.S. arsenal, and a more modern weapon is used. I've heard good things about the SCAR, but it does look a little, well, bulky.
But in rapid-fire, a pistol grip makes it way easier to hold. Try firing an M14/M1A rapidly and the difference becomes pretty clear.

I dunno why there's so much hatred for ARs, either. I recognize their flaws, but tend to think too many people are too critical of them.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-12-2009 at 03:57 AM.