View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
(Issued my weapon?- though that would be cool but I think it would be irresponsible on the National Guard's part since I do not go to Basic until January and no weapons training)

Its an understandable mistake because RSP is relatively new in Maryland I think (Recruit Sustainment Program) They send Pre-basic training National Guard "warriors" (as that is what they call us before basic for some reason lol), Post Basic - Pre AIT soldiers, and National Guard troops getting ready to be transferred to their new unit after AIT.

I got issued my Army Physical Training Uniform(I was also supposed to get issued a DCU kamelback but they ran out before I was issued one ); 4 hours of death by powerpoint outlining the Army Values, Rank Structure, Military Time,and the NATO Phonetic Alphabet.

Most of the time we practiced PT, marching, formations and stuff like that.
I actually liked all of it except for standing in formation in the Parade rest pose ;in front of the Commissioned officers.
We must have been standing still for at least 30 minutes and it made my feet hurt like hell.
I would rather march for an hour then stand at parade rest for an hour.

Overall though it was good.
Not really irresponsible. You used to get a weapons card and they would let you draw the M16 on drill weekends so you could learn how to field strip it, clean it, learn function check, SPORTS (Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap, Squeeze) which is immediate action drills. All in the armory without any ammo.

Also there was nothing that said you couldn't be taken out to the range and taught marksmanship training under a qualified NCO or officer.

Get used to standing in foramtion. I used to do isometric exercises while standing in formation. I was actually a pretty good workout and took my mind off of having to stand stock still. .

But basically it sounds like you got the pretty standard stuff.

Nyles advice is good. Strive to be in the middle. Sometimes though you'll find yourself the center of attention. When I went through basic training wayyyyy back in 1986 it was discovered that I was the shortest man in my basic training company (I'm 5'6"). Basic training was approximately eight weeks long and that discovery was made in the second week. Naturally when that was discovered by the drill sergeants I was screwed. Any possiblity of being unknown was out the window. For six weeks all twelve drill sergeants and all 229 soldiers in my basic training company knew me. Yipee. But I survived.

Last edited by Jcordell; 09-21-2009 at 04:13 AM.