View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Just received this pretty awesome SMLE I figured was worth an extra long post. It's a 1905 Enfield SMLE Mk.I***, which in June 1922 was sent to the Irish Free State Army just as the fighting in Dublin broke out which began the Irish Civil War. I bought it off Gunbroker and imported it through IRunGuns, and had a very positive experience with them once again.

For those unfamiliar with Irish history, after the truce of 1921 following the Irish War of Independence, the Irish Free State was created as a self-governing dominion of the British Empire, much like Canada at the time. This treaty had a 2/3 support of the Irish population, but only 1/3 of the IRA supported it. The remaining 2/3rds began arming themselves in opposition to the treaty, while the pro-treaty 3rd formed the nucleus of the new Irish Free State Army. The new Free State Army began receiving arms from the British under the terms of the treaty, however the British were understandably wary of them and turned over a lot of fairly hastily refurbished obsolete Lee-Enfield Mk.I***s. After the initial shipment the British became suspicious that the Free State might arm the IRA in the still-British North, and began renumbering all the rifles sent so they'd be instantly identifiable if found up there. Michael Collins, now commander of the Free State Army, did so anyways, by trading the FSA's marked rifles for the unmarked rifles possessed by Anti Treaty IRA (who by now had seized key buildings around Dublin), and shipping up the unmarked rifles instead.

Fighting finally broke in Dublin out at the end of June 1922, which the much more heavily armed (including artillery allegedly crewed by British advisors) Free State Army won inside of a week. This lead to an ugly year long civil war, mainly in Cork and Kerry, in which much of the old pre-independence IRA leadership on both sides was killed (including Michael Collins) and several massacres and reprisals took place on both sides.

This is one of the refurbished Mk.I***s, which represented about 1/3rd of the rifles supplied by the British (the balance being Mk.IIIs and Mk.III*s). It has the distinct large sans serif fonted Irish serial number stamped on receiver, bolt and nosecap. It's had a Mk.III rear handguard swapped in, probably due to parts shortages, which leaves it with no rear sight protectors, and I replaced the missing magazine cutoff with one from a Mk.III, but is otherwise all-correct as a Mk.I***, including the original barrel. It does not have the well-known Irish FF stamp on the barrel, nor should it. The FF stamp was only applied to Mk.IIIs rebarelled at Enfield in the late 20s after the Civil War, it's actually a refurbishment mark and not a property mark. Enfield at this point had no more Mk.I barrels, nor was the Irish Army particularly inclined to continue using the Mk.I***s as they had enough Mk.IIIs for peacetime.

Shown here with a 1917 SSA Mk.III* to illustrate the differences between the two models.

The distinct renumbered serial indicating a Civil War-era Irish rifle.

Mk.I action, note the lack of charger bridge and the bolt-head mounted charger guide - a stupid system, the bridge was a major improvement.

Another view of the charger guide, note that it slides back and forth as the bolt opens and closes.