View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Yeah, in a machine gun. Most of which are either mounted or fired from a supported position, unlike a pistol. I would also think there are a lot more women in the military than as field agents. Not only does .40 S&W exist to address this shortcoming with 10mm, it has come to overwhelm 10mm in the LE market.
Ah yes, but I think it has to be admitted that FBI agents don't go through the same physical training that grunts do. They don't wear the same heavy kit as often, they don't get a lot of practice moving heavy objects while running as fast as possible, they don't routinely load heavy supplies by hand to keep fit or for punishment duty. A lot of military training is to get one accustomed to the discomforts which would normally cause an unaccustomed civilian to quit quickly. I've been hearing wildly varying accounts of the 10x25mm round's recoil when properly loaded (i.e., beyond the .40 S&W's capabilities), from everything to "mildly worse than a .45 ACP's" to "just too much." We're not talking about .454 Casull or .50 Action Express though--just how much is "too much", even with service members who are used to most discomforts and pain?

I'll admit that the programs the US has undertaken to replace its service weapons (the M4/16 replacement, the Joint Combat Pistol programs) have been all over the place. Nothing ever seems good enough (seriously, improve on the M16 by 100%?!), or else the makers just don't bid low enough. Sniper Wolf's line from the original Metal Gear Solid that "You men are so weak. You can never finish what you start . . . " is starting to take on less nice connotations the more news I hear about . . .