View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Ah yes, but I think it has to be admitted that FBI agents don't go through the same physical training that grunts do. They don't wear the same heavy kit as often, they don't get a lot of practice moving heavy objects while running as fast as possible, they don't routinely load heavy supplies by hand to keep fit or for punishment duty. A lot of military training is to get one accustomed to the discomforts which would normally cause an unaccustomed civilian to quit quickly. I've been hearing wildly varying accounts of the 10x25mm round's recoil when properly loaded (i.e., beyond the .40 S&W's capabilities), from everything to "mildly worse than a .45 ACP's" to "just too much." We're not talking about .454 Casull or .50 Action Express though--just how much is "too much", even with service members who are used to most discomforts and pain?
You can't TRAIN away the fact that someone's a smaller person. Not being able to handle the recoil is not a conditioning issue. If it were that simple, our professional, volunteer military would still be using full auto M14s. Again, I point out the dominance of .40 S&W in the LE market over 10mm. Cops, who's lives can hinge on being able to hit their targets, still would rather go with .40 S&W, despite probably having as much range time as they want. (Cops shoot for free at my range.)

A friend of mine from HS did two tours in Iraq as an MP. She's an officer, and an MP, so I would think at least one of those facts would mean she was issued a sidearm. She's also tiny, probably no more than 5'2", 110 lbs. How much conditioning would it take for her to handle a full sized 10mm sidearm? And giving her a smaller 10mm pistol would only exacerbate the issue.