View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
But the official sidearm is the M9. I really wish they would have chose the Sig over the Beretta
The USCG has dropped the M9 in favor of Sig's P229. Also, I do believe that a bunch of P228s were requisitioned by the US Armed Forces as the M11, for people who were having trouble handling the M9.

Honestly, what would have been different if the P226 had been chosen? It would still have the same 9mm cartridge, people would still complain that it wasn't a .45, and I do suspect the SEALs would have still managed to find a way to break it - remember, the issues with the original M9s were discovered largely because SEAL teams were pumping extremely high-pressured ammo through the guns at their typical astronomical bullet-consumption rate. Maybe it would have taken a bit longer, but I put nothing past them.

Not saying the P226 is a bad gun...just that the Beretta doesn't quite deserve all of the crap that's been heaped on it.

EDIT: Just Wikipedia'd it, and while the above largely stands, the article concerning the M9 does say that the USCG has "mostly" replaced their M9s with P229 DAK, going on to mention that some Berettas remain for certain units. Take that as you will, as I didn't see an article to link to supporting that. Anyone more in-the-know care to elaborate?

Last edited by Clutch; 09-09-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: new info (sort of)