View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
These pics were shot for IMFDB and IMFDB only. I think more than a few IMFDB members like the fact that we have so many images that no one else on the net has.
Of course I love the fact that we have such awesome pics, and that we were the first place to have them. But I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about the idea that they're exclusively for our use. I would be perfectly fine with other sites using some of our images as long as they credited us (which is what the person on Wikipedia who used the Px4 pics failed to do). But since I didn't take the pics myself, it's not my call.

Also, while I don't agree with Burt that the 'Net is some free-for-all where anything that can be downloaded is fair game for limitless distribution, I do think he's got a point that it's not going to be easy to clamp down on everyone who tries to use our images. As IMFDB gets more popular (which has been the trend of the last 3 years that I've been here), more people are going to see our gun images, not read our rules, and try to download them for use on their own sites. We can control a handful of Wikipedia users who upload our images without permission, but we won't be able to handle hundreds of users who post our images on other Wikis that aren't as stringent about enforcing copyrights.

And remember that the 'Net is full of people who think that Intellectual Property is some outdated 20th century concept.

Last edited by MT2008; 01-30-2011 at 09:19 PM.