View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM

I say the following with utmost sincerity, no mean tone or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Of course you are free to speak your mind, but consider your ALL OR NOTHING attitude.
It's all, nothing, or a compromise I find unreasonable and unfair to the quotes themselves for the reasons I've already stated. With all being their censorship and nothing being them gone completely, I say nothing.

Quote:
I'd rather be worried about WRONG info, or some of the juvenile stuff that we missed, than this (IMHO) irrelevant issue.
I'm worried about that stuff too, but the quotes are on the front page and are one of the first things visitors to the site see. For every professional in the industry I'm sure we have dozens if not hundreds or thousands of regular people who will probably look at us and either laugh or question why a site that documents fictional gun usage and murder would worry about the F word in an instance where an actor said it as in a quote. We're not liable for that wording, save for allowing the quotes to be posted, but, again, it's art, and most of the quotes worth posting have swear words in them. Perhaps some people have kids coming on here and of course we have these people from the industry, but not having the quotes at all gives them nothing to get offended by just as well, if not more, than the words still there and censored.

Quote:
I for one question how NOT tossing the F bomb everywhere makes us less legitimate.
I don't think it should be tossed around either, but allowing the preservation of quotes with swear words is not tossing it around. And again, if they're gone, it doesn't make us less legitimate either, to use the same argument.

Quote:
Since many members NEVER contemplate how IMFDB is seen to other professionals in the industry, let me just reiterate this point from the Rule and Regs:

"IMFDB is an information resource, not our private playground

This is a source of Information for weapons and movie buffs around the world. Certainly it is tempting to think of IMFDB as one's own personal 'playground' but please realize that we do this work to serve others."
I don't think of this place as my playground at all, I totally get the desire and the need to be mature and objective about the site. That being said, if we have to stick to the idea that IMFDB is just guns in movies, and not an encyclopedia for guns or movies, then again, getting rid of the quotes doesn't harm the site, as some of the ones I've seen don't even mention guns by name, or their firearms referencing is broad or inaccurate anyway, which works against being accurate or specific, something we should be doing for the site. Their contribution is minimal at the very best and certainly not as valuable as the Did You Know section or a Featured Page.

Looking/being professional is important, but getting rid of the censored quotes can only help that and keep us from looking silly to the rest of the IMFDB audience to whom we also cater.

If you're requesting ages too, I'm 19 for what (little) it's worth. I also agree with Tim's input as well.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 07-19-2011 at 08:04 AM.