View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombees View Post
It's funny, I always thought the MP5 was so popular because it was an excellent weapon. Like "The Number one SMG in the world" kind of excellent. Since the MP5 dominates the media so much, I assumed it was highly favored by Tactical teams and Special Forces people. Even on the news, when they show SWAT teams, most of the time they're carrying MP5s or M4s(then again, I haven't watched the news in awhile...). I'm sure it's still a fine weapon, just not the Godly SMG that Hollywood and Video games seems to make it be.
Actually, if you watch the news nowadays, you won't see too many SWAT teams using the MP5 anymore. Most SWAT teams have been going back to .223-caliber rifles in the past 5 years, and phasing out subguns as their primary weapons. The reason being that a number of studies have found that in CQB, .223 doesn't really tend to over-penetrate any more than 9mm against soft targets. But it does perform vastly better against body armor. So nowadays, most SWAT teams carry the M4, or other derivatives. The G36 series is probably the 2nd most popular .223 carbine amongst SWAT teams after the M4, but if so, then it's a pretty distant second.

Quote:
On the topic of H&K's other weapons, for a while I really did think the 416 was superior to the M4. And this wasn't based off videogames. I remeber reading an article about a year ago, which brought into question the M4's reliability. There were a few testimonys, from US soldiers stationed in Iraq, regarding jamming and weapon malfunctions. It was mentioned those problems could be solved by daily cleanings, but sometimes soldiers don't have time to maintain their weapons. Of course, the article's solution was the HK 416, which supposedly "had the M4's excellent handling, with the durability of an AK47".
"Durability" and "reliability" are two different things.

Anyway, I don't think there's much dispute that the 416 is an improvement over the M4. It's just a question of whether it's enough of an improvement to justify the cost. And H&K has never shown a willingness to be flexible, even when it means losing DoD contracts. That's why nearly every weapon H&K has ever submitted to the DoD for testing winds up losing out to someone else...usually FN, nowadays.

Quote:
That also brings up the Mk. 23. Once again, I assumed it was a great weapon because it was issued to... the NAVY SEALS! The SEALs are the toughest hombres on the planet, if they're using it, then it must be awsome! Right?
Larry Correia mentions this, but the truth is that almost all of the SF units that were issued Mark 23s never actually carry them. The Mark 23 was designed specifically for SOCOM, but SF guys hate it. Most of our SF operators carry either 1911 derivatives or SIG-Sauers.

Quote:
See, this is my problem, I never base my opinions on guns from games, because they're always altered to keep the gameplay balanced. But when you mention "Special Forces" in the same sentence as a gun brand, I immediatly assume it has to be a superior weapon.
As I've said, very few American SF units use H&Ks anymore. The MP5 used to be popular in the days where 9mm was considered the only acceptable cartridge for CQB, but those days are long past.

Also, if you check out the inventories of SFs of almost any country in the world that is friendly to the U.S., you will find that nearly all of them use M16s and M4s as their primary long guns. H&K's .223s, including the G36 series and 416, are not nearly as popular as the American M16 family of weapons.