View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Is it just a block of C4? Do you still need separate blasting caps or is it all built in?
There are quite a few different detonation options that can be used in conjunction with the M112, but nothing is included with it. The two most common ones that you would see in media are M6 electric, or M7 non-electric blasting caps. M6s are a small metal tupe which is inserted into the explosive and has wires trailing out of it which are then connected to an electrical detonator. M7s are also a metal tube that is inserted into the explosive but are larger, and have a slightly flared end into which either a timed black powder fuze or detcord is inserted and crimped on. You can also detonate it purely with detcord, but in order to get a reliable detonation you either need to wrap the M112 in multiple loops, or tie the detcord in large knot and imped it in the C4 itself.

Not quite sure what kind of detonator the MGS example is supposed to be using, as from the context you would expect it to be an M6 yet it looks more like an M7 with detcord in it, and also there would be no reason to wrap the detcord around the charge itself if you were using a propper blasting cap.

Just had a thought, maybe we could make a page for demolitions devices where we could list these kind of things (not list appearances, but as a place to store images and a little info and to link to from media pages)? Im not just talking about the explosives themselves, but also the various identifiable detonators and igniters that have appeared. For example there was a Blasting Machine, 10 cap, Type 6901 No.1 in Supernatural (this also might have been the one used at the end of Saving Private Ryan ut haven't seen that in a long time), and I remember something had what I think was an M2 igniter attached to a black powder fuze (can't remember what film it was, but it was connected to a satchel charge that a US special forces soldier used to blow up a building). I know these are not firearms, and in the case of detonators not really weapons themselves, but if they appeared in something I would wan't to know what they were so feel like it would be good if they were identified.