View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
MT2008. It's nice to train and arm up against both conventional threats AND unconventional ones, but a lot of those contracts like the Future Soldier and the F-22 and XM29 are just shit. We have a good military that can kick conventional ass. I'm sure we could win a war with North Korea. Of course, there would be Millions dead and Seoul would be in shambles there would be shit loads of refugees crossing the border into the South and China.
I agree on Future Force Warrior and such, but aircraft are getting ever more advanced as time goes by, especially Russian designs like the Su-37. And with the rapidly-deteriorating relationship between the US and Russia, they're more than likely going to be willing to sell to our enemies and possibly even do the flying for them. We will eventually find ourselves in a conventional war where air superiority is key. And an aircraft like the Sukhoi that can snap its nose back in mid-air to take a potshot at a trailing fighter is going to be a severe threat to our "adequate" F15s and F18s that can't even hope to match that kind of maneuverability. I'm not saying technology trumps all, but it definitely plays a big part. An aircraft like the F22 that can match the aerodynamic capabilities of the most advanced of OpFor aircraft is only going to make the fight easier and a bit safer for our guys.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman