Thread: New gun nut
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

GunMaster is right. I catch mistakes in gun recognition guides (Jane's included) all the time, and I'm far from what anyone would call an "expert". At this point, IMFDB is becoming WAY better than Jane's for noting differences in guns, which is why many of our gun pages are so popular (in the case of the 1911 page, moreso than any movie page!) Even if we're not perfect, we still have limitless potential to improve, unlike any printed guide.

I did catch the fact that the XM8s in "XXX 2" were actually vis-modded G36Ks myself. My page has said that since the very beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
You can note a Norinco Type 56 most easily by its hooded (or circle for simplicity) sight, and milled reciever. There are plenty other recognition techniques but never just use the folding bayonet as one, other AKs have folding bayonets too.
Actually, the main thing distinguishing the Type 56 from a Russian-made AK-47 is that most of them have AKM-style stamped receivers (but the rest of the gun is still AK-47-based). Also, I'm actually not aware of any other AK variant that has the "pig sticker" permanently-attached bayonet besides the Type 56. But that is irrelevant because most of the Type 56 semi versions imported to the U.S. (which armorers converted to auto for movie use) were versions that didn't have the folding bayonet.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-07-2009 at 11:15 PM.