View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 AM

.30 Carbine is available, just not in as high volume as others. I could walk into any gun store or ammo depot and find 9mm or 5.56, but I'd have to look around to find even 1 store that had a decent amount of .30 Carbine.

I tried to stay away from the discussion but it seems you all have come to most of the conclusions I have without my input, so I'll put some of mine in.

Revolvers are generally a no-no unless you are and were trained on them. While they have high reliability and commonality, the cartridges they fire are either underpowered (.38 Special) or slightly or grossly overpowered (.357 Magnum and .38). You can get some that fire intermediate calibers like .45 ACP but then you need a steady supply of moon clips just to keep the gun firing, when you could have just grabbed a Glock 21 or 1911 and have higher capacity with a reliability drop that would more or less go unnoticed.

Moreover .45 ACP is NOT unwieldly at all, anything beyond .357 Magnum in a handgun is more or less "unwieldly".

While it's not nearly my favorite "zombie movie", 28 Days Later has the most realistic depiction of infected. The source of the infected is a mutated virus, they don't require headshots, and their blood can infect you if it contacts open wounds, which makes sense. Most Romero movies leave no explanation for zombies or why certain people aren't infected. Basically, the Boyle (28 Days Later director) zombies leave less plot holes and are easier to defeat.

I'd carry either an M16A1 knockoff or M4gery or their actual counterparts if I can get them (maybe work in an 11.5 inch barrel somewhere), with maybe an ACOG. A plain jane AK-47 is fine too. My sidearm would be a Beretta 92 Series (I just got an SB!) or a Glock 17 if I want to conserve weight. I'd try to work in a light attachment if I could. In all honesty I'd try to assemble a team and a base where I could hold extra weapons for different types of encounters.

As far as headshots go, it seems like a traditional Achilles heel put into a fictional antagonist to allow some kind of source of defeat, but in reality it just makes them harder to kill, especially if they can run. I can see why it makes some sense and why it doesn't, so I'm not really going to say that a headshot should be the only way to kill one, but I'd certainly hope not, because it's a lot harder than the movies make it out.