View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Those aren't genuine AK-103s. If you look closely, you can see that they have the AKM-style front sight, gas tube, and ribbed receiver cover. They're probably AKMs (Egyptian, most likely) fitted with Bulgarian plastic furniture and AK100-style flash hiders.

Anyway, the reason why they're using these is probably because American armorers have more difficulty getting ahold of the latest Russian and Chinese weapons, so they often use other weapons as stand-ins. Canadian and British armorers, however, do seem to have much easier access to the newest weaponry. As Excalibur has pointed out, "Stargate: Atlantis" has featured some QBZ-97s, because it seems that one of the Canadian armories has managed to purchase some of those from Norinco. I imagine it'd be much harder for American armories to do the same.

But then again, I haven't had the chance to visit any of the American armories (yet), so maybe they have acquired new stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to get AK-74Ms instead of AK-103s?
No. If an American armorer wanted to simulate the AK-74M, I imagine what they would do is take the Chinese Type 84 (which was sold in the U.S., and very often stands in for the AK-74 in our movies), give it plastic furniture and a fake AK-74 flash hider, and then pass that off as an AK-74M.