Thread: G-Men weapons
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Being popular directly after it's inception doesn't necessarily make it popular 20 years later. Even so, a .45 ACP 1911 will do everything a .38 Super 1911 will do in a combat role. The .38 Super on paper has superior ballistics, but these kinds of differences are really only noticed in match environments. Moreover, the agents will have an abundance of .45 ACP on them since they will have Thompsons, and the ammo is easier to get as it is the common American caliber of the day, as opposed to .38 Super which has probably declined in popularity after the war. Personally, when I think .38 Super, I think of Dillingers machine pistol, and ISPC race guns where the shooters need every minute ballistic edge they can get. I don't consider the caliber superior to .45 as a combat cartridge given all the factors I've mentioned. Still, if you really think it'd aid to characterization to give a character a .38 Super 1911, do so. I think I've argued how it logistically doesn't make as much sense as a standard .45 Government Model though.

If you have a credible source that says Feds used M1928s (not A1s) at the time, then give them those. It was an issue weapon, and is the most iconic of the Thompson models on top of that.

The BAR and the .38-44 seem fine to me though given what you've said.