View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 11:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Also to not confuse new comers to the site or those that don't know the difference, if a character is using a "custom" AR-15 and is firing full auto, we should point it out since an AR-15 is a civilian weapon originally and not a select fire weapon. Example is in Jack Reacher Never Go Back. In John Wick 2, he's shooting this rifle in semi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I like to put it simply. "AR-15" is simple enough and then putting down what we think the furniture is attached is a good idea. But I will still like to emphasize since we're IDing a weapon as an AR-15 opposed to an M4/M16 type, it is a civilian weapon and if it is seen in the show in select fire, we should point that out for people of more...liberal views that might stumble upon our website and use it as a source and misunderstands that AR-15s in the real world aren't full auto typically or originally designed to be select fire weapon.
Dude, I think we're way past that; "AR-15" now refers to a type of firearm that is not necessarily select-fire or semi-auto only. The days when "AR-15" = semi-auto civilian rifle and "M16" or "M4" = select-fire military rifle are long gone now. And visually, it keeps getting harder and harder to tell the difference between civvie vs. LEO/mil-only ARs (with pinned flash hiders on 14.5" barrels becoming popular in the civvie market, even barrel length is no longer a distinguishing visual indicator.) I realize that this may confuse non-gun geeks, but it is inevitable due to current trends in the AR-15 market (there, I said it! )

Bear in mind that there has already never been a simple way to make this distinction in the world of AKs. The shorthand way to describe a Kalashnikov-pattern rifle has always just been "AK", regardless of whether said AK is a select-fire Eastern Bloc/ChiCom weapon or a semi-auto clone for the U.S. civilian market.

Also, engaging in word games for the sake of trying to educate anti-gun liberals is futile and not worth our time, IMHO.