View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Yooka

Very interesting stuff, guys. I appreciate all of it. A few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I would avoid 22 lr handguns as they lack sufficient penetration through a skull at the angles encountered during an altercation (may not be 90 degrees to the muzzle). I would go for a high capacity 9mm handgun and specifically a Glock 17 9mm. The 9mm has the ability to penetrate the skull.
Really? Shows what little I know. Roughly speaking, how far is the maximum effective range for skull cracking with a standard 9mm round?

Quote:
For zombies "stopping power" is not an issue.
Wait, wait. Why do you say that? First off, according to the "general consensus" (and again, please don't think I get off on declaring myself the zombie authority here, if anything, I see it as pretty lame, but I do put in the time organizing that wiki, so gimmie come cred here), zombies not only need a headshot, they need a substantial portion of the brain to be mashed up. Zombies don't bleed out. Yes, I know there are some movies where they do. But the zombies that some great literature (and the next big zombie movie) is built upon is trying to make a slightly more consistent standard to try and recreate the George Romero slow lumbering zombie. So they have gelatanous blood. This allows them to be alot more durable. Sure, scientifically, it doesn't have any precedent. Bear with me.

Anyhow, for this discussion, please assume that the skull is just as solid as any humans, organs other than the brain are ornamental, hydrostatic shock, nerve trauma, and decomposition are total non-factors. So I'm thinking, even if a body shot doesn't kill it, at least if there is stopping power, they are knocked down, buying you more time (they are known to have awful balance and coordination, which is the main reason they are slow. In close quarters, they are just as feral and strong as an engraged pcp junkie, or something).

Quote:
Revolvers for the most part would be out of the picture. The weight to firepower ratio doesn't make sense.
Really? Doesn't the durability and reliability make them at least part of the discussion? I understand .45 is unwieldly, but maybe in a .357 or a .38?

Quote:
No, he did absolutely zero research, such as shown by him ranking the M1 carbine (which you'd be hard-pressed to find ammo for) so high.
Well, I agree alot of his firearms stuff doesn't fly with real authorities, I'm sure he tried. Without practical experience, and lots of access to experts, this stuff is very hard for a layperson to get a firm grasp on. Trust me. Gotta give him points for not endorsing the Desert Eagle, right?

Waita sec, you'd be hard pressed to find m1 carbine ammo? I could have sworn I read in the US military, it was widely available. Doesn't that mean it at least sells a little?

Last edited by Yooka; 01-23-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: m1 carbine thing