View Single Post
Old 06-08-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I think you did the opposite of what you wanted there, made a pretty good case against carrying what is arguably (regardless of what SIG calls it) full sized handgun in your pocket. Go full autism and get a hawaiian shirt and a shoulder holster

People really don't pay attention, though, but the ONE person that does is going to fuck up everything for you
It's not full sized because the P226 is full sized and the P228 is slightly smaller than the P226. It's in the compact classification. Regardless of whether or not it is objectively smaller than whatever gun one wants to cherry pick, it is a "compact" that is smaller than it's "full sized" counterpart, and comparable in size to other "compact" guns on the market. Additionally, my goal in detailing the effort I went through with my current setup is just to detail that I've stretched the limits of concealibility to carry a larger gun with the same effectiveness and consistency as I would with a smaller one. Moreover, I'm well over worrying about someone making me since the gun itself is concealed well enough, and someone making the jump from "nylon pouch" to "mag pouch" to "he has a gun" to "he has a gun and is dangerous" to calling the cops and my arrest is wildly farfetched. There are so many ways to de-escalate that at every step of the scenario that it's a non-issue in my eyes. Short of actually brandishing or using the gun where it's totally visible, I'm not worried in the least about getting in trouble with it. The cops around here are pretty cool anyway too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The idea of IWB a smaller gun, a P228 is NOT a small gun no matter what you call it. If guys at my local PD carry P229s as well as the Secret Service...it isn't really a compact gun, much less a gun for pocket carry...unless you meant the pockets of a cargo pants.
I think you mean that "The idea of IWB carry is built around smaller sized guns" so I will respond with that in mind.

"Compact" is a mainstream classification under which the P228 falls, nevermind what specifications we actually attribute to the classification. It's just the terminology used to describe the gun's size in a general sense relative to standard "full size" service guns. Also, I never said it was small, just small enough for my purposes, which is perfect. And I do carry the gun in the front right pocket of my 5.11 Taclite Pros, not a cargo pocket, with ease.

Just as well, I've IWB'd my P228 quite a bit with just a T shirt, and it's not ideal for comfort or concealment, but it works well enough from a functional standpoint, given the limitations of my current gear and clothing. The only reason I don't IWB the gun now is because I can't for the life of me find a holster with the proper combo of belt mounting, ride height, cant and sweat protection that I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
A single stack SIG P series is still too big for conceal carry.
Except it's not, because I carry a double stack just as consistently as I do a micro gun. It takes marginally more effort, but it's far from impossible. I'm just trying to highlight how I've personally inverted the paradigm of CCers making compromises in what they carry, and therefore, their capabilities with their gun, for super highly concealability. I've gone with the minimum amount of concealability for a larger gun, and therefore, a higher degree of shooting performance. You can carry pretty much anything if you gear up and dress accordingly. The only question is whether or not you are willing or able to make the concessions to do so. I think it's interesting, to say the least, that it has become so normal for people to carry smaller guns because of market saturation, aggressive marketing, and the acceptance of carry limitations that are more perceived than real. Just something worth thinking about, I feel.

Last edited by Yournamehere; 06-08-2016 at 05:46 PM.