View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Can you go the "Highlight for spoilers" route?
No, font colour markup doesn't seem to work on hotlinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
I would make an exception about listing the actor's name next to the character because the filmmakers took great pains to not reveal who was going to play the killer in the film.
I don't think that's a good enough reason to fail to credit an actor for his role; it's a horrible precident that we should skip over actor names if they could be considered spoilers. We should not compromise the site's entire purpose for a handful of hypothetical readers who haven't seen Se7en and don't know the twist; the page has named the actor for over two years with no major objections from anyone.

IMFDB's purpose with live-action works is to identify both the weapons themselves and the actors who used them; that's why we have actor pages in the first place. Where this results in unavoidable spoilers due to the nature of the work in question, we simply have to shrug our shoulders, clearly advise the reader what they'll encounter in the article at the top of the page, and accept that's how it's going to be. The other option is as bad as leaving guns out because some aspect of their appearance could be considered a spoiler.

Quote:
I can see maybe mentioning the actor once, but the numerous times throughout the page is too much.
It's twice. The second probably isn't needed, but the first (under the gun entry where he uses one) is, according to the same basic formatting rules followed by every other live-action page on the site.

Quote:
Additionally, I think mentioning in the spoiler warning that you're going to list which actor is going to play the serial killer probably defeats the purpose of the warning, so it's been taken out.
Um, how? The only way it would defeat the purpose is if you told people who the actor was in the spoiler warning. "If you don't want to know this thing, don't read this page" is exactly what a spoiler warning is supposed to tell you. The warning leaves it crystal clear what the reader is going to encounter if they continue reading and they only have themselves to blame if they do so.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 12-27-2011 at 03:39 PM.