View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 04:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Thinking about this again, I think you missed my point about Rory. She's a bit of a cultural in-joke among the Japanese. Her name "Rory" is an actual name in English but it's also a pun on how looks like a "goth-loli" girl (i.e., a young woman who wears Gothic Lolita fashion and looks younger than 18 years of age) and yet is a demigod who's centuries old and ends up wanting to lose her virginity to Itami. The "moral guardians" in North America wouldn't hear of this, and the casting agency would probably end up casting an actress who is the same age as Itami's actor, losing some of the references behind Rory Mercury's name. That's the current wave of censorship for you.

Of course, if all you want is better action sequences, then that's easily done with the right director and funding, but then you might end up with fans of the original work who complain about the story being changed or condensed in a way they don't appreciate.
I thought so too. Thinking how an Americanized version would take away about of the original point of the story. The actual book was very nationalistic for Japan and even the writer wrote off why America didn't get involved in an actual attack on Japan by a foreign power. The defense treaty would been used regardless and we'd see a combined JSDF and US military presence in the story but there isn't.

I'm sure if this was adapted for America, they'd make it a satire of US military involvement in foreign lands as a negative instead of moral superiority of the Japanese military is portrayed in the Anime and book.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”