View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I figured the Poly Techs were quality, I just don't want the sight hood, and the fact that I own a Chinese gun. Some gunners think China is the biggest threat on the face of the planet and will hate you for buying "Chinese junk". I'm also not gonna pay near or over 1000 dollars for an AK, they are supposed to be cheap. If I put down cash like that I'll probably buy an M16 variant.
Well, the advantage of the sight hood is that it tends to be a bit more durable than the partially-open front sight of other AKs (I've seen a lot that got bent after being banged around enough). Though it's easy to replace, and you aren't planning on fighting in a bush war with an AK anyway, so maybe that's irrelevant.

Any good military-style autoloader is going to cost you a lot nowadays, especially since Obama got into office. Even WASRs and other crap are now getting much more expensive. I dunno how much pre-ban prices are changing, but it's actually not the worst idea in the world. You get what you pay for, after all. I remember when I was trying to find an AK back in 2003, I just kept finding that all of the American AK clones I inspected were junk, so I figured I'd save more money and get something worth keeping forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
How much would it cost to do it myself within the confines of the law, or how much would it cost to have someone take care of it for me, within the confines of the law, and which would be better overall?
Depends on what kind of tooling is available to you. My Dad maintains a full machine shop in his basement, including a milling machine (not CNC, but still quite good), a lathe, and a bandsaw. All he would need to do is order the diagrams and fire control parts after he bought the sear, and he could do the conversion with everything he already has. My machining skills are pretty rudimentary compared to his (my entire experience is half a summer school semester course in Duke University's machine shop), so I would probably have a lot more trouble.

If you don't have access to a machine shop with that kind of stuff, then...well, buying the tools would set you back a lot of money, too.