View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
You are not every police officer. Every police officer is not you.

This article lists a few cases that illustrate what I'm talking about. Among them is the case that originally brought this issue to my attention, the rape of three women that was reported via 911 multiple times and ignored.

http://iarnuocon.newsvine.com/_news/...to-protect-you

Also in the case you're talking about, the police did nothing after the ex-husband kidnapped the daughters, whom he later murdered before opening fire on a police station. The woman was awarded a judgement which was reversed by the Supreme Court.

Special protection has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of liability over negligence.
The most recent of those cases is from 1989. Much has changed in the past 21 years. My father was a cop from 1970 - 1994. We sometimes compare notes and he's amazed by the changes.

For example during the whole of his career as a cop in Idaho the police could not arrest in a domestic violence situation if the victim refused to press charges. Period. But in the late 90's that changed. Now I can arrest if I believe that there is PC. Period. Many times the victim will stand there and tell me that she/he does not want to press charges. I explain to everyone involved that I'm pressing the charges of Domestic Battery.

A few years ago in a neighboring city we had a husband (domestic violence suspect) get out on pre-trial release. He had been arrested multiple times for domestic violence. This time he went to his ex-wife's house and killed her. His mother-in-law called 911 and the police responded promptly. However it was too late. I just put that in there to let you know that I readily aknowledge bad things can and still do happen.

The way the 911 dispatch centers work has also changed over the past twenty years. Dispatchers now get better training for one. They also have better equipment. Which of course means more money being spent and that can mean more taxes. But I'm digressing.

More than once I've jumped on the radio and had dispatch to tell me unless a gun is involved to stand by because they are on 911.

Once again I will readily aknowledge that mistakes happen and there are examples of less than stellar behavior, but to pull cases from the past fifty years across the United States dosen't show the whole situation accurately.

There has been much case law that also states that we the police have to excercise Due Dilligence and follow Due Process.

In many respects that's like a gun grabber finding examples of gun owners behaving in a criminal manner. Only the examples cover the past fifty years and have occurred over across the U.S.