Thread: Common Mistakes
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 AM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
gotta disagree with you on this point. Specs should NOT be on par with the level of identifying the media that the gun appears in. specs are NICE, but they (again) are not the main thrust of IMFDB. I always liked having Specs as a nondescript part of the main description of the gun. It is interesting trivia and information that is good to know, but it doesnt fulfill the MISSION of IMFDB. The media listings of the appearances of the gun DOES fulfill the primary mission of IMFDB.
Grr. I hate being wrong.... I have to agree... It isn't part of the mission to give gun specs.... agreed. ONE of the reasons that I started adding specs to every subsection is because a lot of the specs were just wrong. You get a page like the Mini-14 that list the specs for the entire page as being semi-auto and 37.2 in long. Well that only applies to 1 of the 3 variants that appear on the page.

Here is what i purpose, killing a few birds with one stone.
  • I concede that gun specs are not essential to the gun pages, but do help give more info and (in some cases) to identify a gun, so lets keep the specs in their BASIC form. We do not need to know the muzzle velocity or the range, but having a length and capacity is nice. Also production dates can be VERY important for identifying guns in older movies.
  • Lets try to split up some of the super packed pages... Take the AK-47 page for example. If we gave the carbine versions their own page, then there would be no need for separate specs for each gun since the differences are negligible. Same goes for the M16 page where we could simply say the length ranges from X in to Y in depending on the model.
  • Lets put specifications as the same heading style as the media types. As was previously said "Film is not a subsection of Specifications". One thing that I will say, while the "Specifications" do not need to appear in the TOC, it is nice to have them formatted the way a Heading 2 is formatted. Alternatively we could just making the "Specifications" title area thingy bold but lets definitely get rid of the Heading 2 for specs and Heading 3 for media because that looks like crap (and yes, I know that I have been one of the people doing pages that way. I apologize.)

Thoughts?

-Z