View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I checked the samples on that site with a few songs I have, and the samples are usually just a short part of the song or used in the intro or end, and at the very worst, all they do is take a portion of the song and loop it, while still producing a beat of their own to go with or over it. There's a fine line between sampling and straight dubbing or copying someone elses work, and it shouldn't be seen as a lack of creativity on the song producers part if he samples, not copies, but samples.
The Beats is not 100% complete, either. But I'm telling you, every sound you hear in a hip-hop song came from another song first. The baseline, the drum loop, the synth melodies, anything else. It's either sampled, or it's being played by a keyboardist so that they don't have to apply for a license. But there are almost no original sounds in hip-hop. The entire point of hip-hop is to take existing songs, strip them down, and revive them with new energy.

My point is not to tell you that you're wrong for enjoying hip-hop. I like some of it, too. But strictly speaking, hip-hop is just as easy to criticize as metal. So I'm finding myself in the awkward position of defending another genre that I'm not even big into.