View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure how this became a debate over which genre is more "original", but there isn't anything wrong with sampling nor does it make the production of the music unoriginal or uncomplicated.

Most rap songs sample, but it doesn't mean their music or songs are second for second, sound for sound ripped from something that already exists. I checked the samples on that site with a few songs I have, and the samples are usually just a short part of the song or used in the intro or end, and at the very worst, all they do is take a portion of the song and loop it, while still producing a beat of their own to go with or over it. There's a fine line between sampling and straight dubbing or copying someone elses work, and it shouldn't be seen as a lack of creativity on the song producers part if he samples, not copies, but samples.

That being said, I don't know if 90 percent is an accurate figure, unless we're talking about the amount of songs that just sample rather than the amount of songs which are full on 100 percent composed of nothing but other people's work i:e covers and stuff like that. Besides, the prevalence of sampling is just what hip hop music is and has been for the last 30-40 years, as it's more or less an invention of DJs toying around with their machines and records and in turn producing a new music genre. It's kind of like making a collage with yours and others artwork, there's some obvious influence and media borrowed from places, but it still belonga to the creator. It is what it is, and I wouldn't hold it against rap/hip-hop as you do.

Even with that, you still further strengthen my original point that I prefer hip-hop because it's a bit simpler with regard to music and puts more emphasis on lyrics (though the quality of the subject matter vaires from artist to artist, but ultimately you can understand what they are saying at the very least). The music and beat are mostly a vehicle for the rapper, but can still sound dope on it's own too, whereas something like metal stress the instruments and not so much the lyrical content, which really doesn't do anything for me as it manifests an inverse of my priorities for music, and generally I just don't like the sound of the music as a standalone, so it really does nothing for me, as least when I'm not in the tough thrashy mood where all I want to do is listen to something loud and powerful, but I can find a rap song that will serve that purpose, as well as others for more mellow moods. I'm sure you guys like it for whatever reason, but most metal just doesn't meet my criteria for what I consider listenable music.