View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
That's more of a description of modern, radio-played hip-hop, and I don't listen to that. As for your second statement, I'm not sure if you're still disagreeing with me or just pointing something out, but that parallels my point. The music is a mix of previously made sounds and (hopefully, if not most of the time) an original beat, and most of the time, that's enough for the song to work, granted the rapper is talented.
I'd call it "recognizing a nuance". My point is that both hip-hop and metal have produced a lot of crap, but that it's just as easy to criticize hip-hop as metal.

Also, don't kid yourself...90% of what you hear in hip-hop beats is just straight sampled. Even hip-hop songs that do use live instrumentation in the beat are borrowing somebody's melody or notes. There is very little original music in hip-hop. That's not my opinion, either; it's pretty much a fact. Any time you hear a hip-hop song where you think the beat is original, just go to http://the-breaks.com/ and you'll probably find that it's sampled from George Clinton or Zapp or whoever else.