View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 01:51 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I was referring to cosmetic details that aren't dictated by the internals, like the Classic Army (?) XM177E2 that's really good, until you notice that the idiots put a Heavy barrel on it. WTF? The XMs never had an A2 style heavy barrel. Or the Tokyo Marui SG1 being that weird light grey that doesn't exist in the real world. I've compared a bunch of their AKs to the real deal and alot of the cosmetic details are wrong. I went into an Airsoft store once and noticed that all of the (King?) FALs were wrong, i.e. inch pattern front ends with metric pattern back ends .... again ... WTF? I'll post a comparison pic one of these days.

As for the AUG special receiver, the A2 is the military version...BUT many of the special AUGs with rails imported into this country were called "Special Receiver" (and this was before the airsoft company made a copy of it), so that's not incorrect. AUG special receivers are very sought after since so few were imported into the U.S.

A bigger nomenclature change is calling the AK-104, "the SLR-104" (or something like that). I have some airsoft friends who only know the airsoft version of the gun, and when i mention the real name, they look at me like I spoke Greek or something.
Ah, OK, I see what you mean. I totally forgot that the semi AUG with the railtop receiver was called the "Special Receiver" in the U.S. I've always just thought of that receiver style as the "A2" style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Heck we on IMFDB keep calling the Norinco guns the Type 56, when the vast majority of them in the U.S. are actually marked AK-47 on the receivers (which was the export name for the US market).
Dunno about that. I know what you're saying (my own Chinese AK says "AK47S" on the receiver), but since a lot of the Hollywood Chinese AKs have been converted back to auto, and therefore to military Type 56 specs, it seems like it's pretty accurate to describe them as "Type 56s". I mean, a large percentage (the majority, surely) of the roller-locked H&K guns used in movies and TV shows are actually transferable conversions of civilian HK90 series guns, but we still call them G3s and HK33s and MP5s, no? Seems like it's the same case with the Chinese AKs.

Besides, we did mention in the Type 56 section that the semi guns exported to the U.S. were called "AKS47s" and "AK47s". Also, weren't some of the Norinco semi-auto guns called the "Type 56S"?

Last edited by MT2008; 01-05-2009 at 01:56 AM.