Thread: Randomness 3
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

"Why did I let events take me this far?" The question was asked aloud, but no response was expected and none was forthcoming. An educated man Oscar Wynder knew what a rhetorical question was. An answer wasn't necessary and ,since he was alone, not possible. With a heavy sigh and a shake of his head he turned to the dining table and looked down. They hadn't moved. The long-barreled Colt revolver and worn, but still usable holster and belt were laying in the same spot that Tokey had placed them ten short hours ago.

He hadn't touched a gun since he was mustered out of the Army in 1919 (the 42nd Infantry Division had been a real crackerjack fighting force). Sixteen years ago, but he was certain that in fairly short order the old reflexes would return. Yes they would be undoubtedly rusty, but they were still there underneath the surface. Amazing how life will take us on the most unexpected paths regardless of what we do....or don't do. Another sigh, a moment's hesitation and he reached down and picked up the belt and revolver.

"Well Oscar old boy. No point in putting it off now. I'm here and there is nowhere else to go." In a couple quick motions the belt was buckled around his waist and the revolver slid into the holster. "Looks like we're going back to see the elephant one last time."

Last edited by Jcordell; 01-17-2017 at 02:20 AM.