View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I did a two week exchange with the Brits where I used the SA80A2 extensively. I missed my C7, and all the Brits wanted the C8s some tan hatters there on unrelated training were carrying. As a soldier, it's a serviceable weapon, shoots well, the A2s are actually quite reliable, and I like how compact it is. As a shooter, however, it deeply offended me - terrible human engineering and the trigger from hell.

I find bullpups extremely awkward to reload and often cock, and all the linkages in the triggers give them awful pulls.
Bullpups are not designed to be ergonomic (the best one for my hands has always been the Steyr AUG, though. At least Steyr made their bullpup comfortable to hold). They are designed to be ultra compact without sacrificing barrel length. When they first came out in the 1970s-80s I thought "Oh cool, a gun for paratroopers". Now that straight leg infantry has them in some countries makes me wonder, since they can be horrendous to reload, cock the handle (especially in prone position) and in my opinion, very butt heavy.