View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Naw, I'm fairly sure it's using http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Special:WantedPages as a master list for creating new pages, and probably using the random page function for everything else; I assume it's set to occasionally create a page in case it can slip that past an unobservant admin; it's probably designed to be used on a much bigger wiki where something like that might be lost among the legit changes.

There's only a couple of edits that seem to be targeted (template:incomplete is the obvious one), the rest seem to be entirely random; I can't imagine whoever's piloting this is checking what it's doing very often, or that they speak English. Probably just someone sitting in a foreign spam-factory running these bots in dozens of places at once. I guess the one which this one was supposed to be agreeing with didn't make it, or all the spam messages are getting snarled up by the captcha so it's never posting the things it's supposed to agree with.
I don't necessarily buy the random "Spam attack" theory. It's too relentless. It may be a spam attack that was generated randomly but I suspect ill will by a PERSON, perhaps someone who was banned a while ago. It just seems too intent on targeting us over and over and over again. Just a feeling, no basis in fact here. Just a thought.