View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default More rules for IMFDB (including foreign entries)

Personally it's getting a little perturbing that so much of our work can be undone by anonymous IP addresses. Perhaps we should seriously look at making EVERYONE create an account before they can either create a new page or edit. Just a thought.

Foreign movies

We've recently had a slew of Entries for BOLLYWOOD movies, "some" Chinese or Korean films, and have a few really obscure European films (like those EAST GERMAN B&W movies from the 1960s). Usually pages for foreign films are pretty lean on content.

This made me think about foreign movies in general. We should have rules, unless it is an available title in the U.S. (available at any Hollywood/blockbuster/netflix) then the creator of the page has an obligation to complete it as much as possible. That MEANS posting the cover/poster, and also screencapping it as well as putting in the effort of putting in a brief (i mean BRIEF) summary of the film, including some technical data like year it was released, whether or not it is color or B&W and whether or not it was a foreign (i.e. NOT english) language film.

I'm not that concerned with films readily available in the U.S. .... This is an American based site, and Mods or superusers can eventually get to those pages. I myself attacked ''A Clockwork Orange'' and recently ''Timecop'' and updated them when I saw them as blank or lame pages. (note: Timecop is still an ongoing project)

But foreign films where I would literally have to spend DAYS hunting them down or buy them from overseas mail order houses just to see them, should NOT fall into the lap of American Mods or Superusers to fix. The original posters should take the responsibility of screencapping the film or doing little things like putting up the poster of the film or putting a brief description.

For example, I was the one who posted the posters for several Foreign movies entries (and I also tracked down and wrote the summaries and tried to find production stills online) and frankly I'm not doing it any more. It's the responsibility of the person who actually SAW the movie and wants its inclusion into IMFDB to make the page complete.

Just me venting.... Input or suggestions anyone?