View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Some don't care. Depends on who you work with. But a good portion of them that I have worked with have asked for stupid guns, or at least didn't take the obviously cool choice. As far as bullpups, it was an easy fix for movies which had NO BUDGET to custom create guns. It takes quite a bit of preproduction $$ to hire someone to make a M590 Assault rifle or Morita Mark I. It is easier to trick out a MZ14 Muzzlelite stocked Ruger Mini14 (like in Space Rangers (1993)).

I remember in the 1990s, everyone wanted one of three guns, a Beretta 92FS, a Glock or an M1911A1. No other guns existed. Every subgun was an Uzi, Every assault rifle was an AK47 or M16. And yes, no other guns existed. And a lot of these people were adamant about wanting what they were familiar with, not with what was either correct or 'cool'.

Sorry, I've tried to push XDs on people with no success!
You forgot about MP5s. The weapon which EVERY action movie made in the 1990s just had to have. And Desert Eagles, of course...

Anyway, what is the level of input that directors usually give? Let's say you're doing a movie with cops and drug dealers, for example. Would the director actually tell you, "OK, I want the cops to have Glocks, except for the lead detective, who will have a USP. The gangstas will all have Berettas and 1911s and .357 revolvers"?

Or, would the director tell you, "We're doing a film with cops and drug dealers, what do you recommend?" And then you give him your recommendations, and he makes revisions as he sees fit?