View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 07:05 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I demand pictures if you win!

I got myself a S&W Model 60, .357 Magnum, with a 3" bbl as a birthday gift to myself, and when I went to shoot it they had a very good condition Kahr PM9 with box and mags (for $250 less than the cheapest crappiest one I could find on gunbroker) so I did me another impulse purchase. Somehow the Kahr is as easy to shoot as my S&W 5906; I am very impressed, but less impressed that all the aftermarket grip options for my new Model 60 are just awful compared to the ugly OEM grips. I really wish the Hogue monogrip for J-frames was the same as the one for the Taurus 85/605/856 (like the same layout, shape, etc), because my 605 is very pleasant to shoot with magnums, and doesn't jump around or rotate in my grip almost at all
I didn't win it. However, I did win the bid on a brand-new Ruger SP101 still in the box with all documents. This one is chambered for 38 Special +P. Not a big deal for me. I own many 38 Special revolvers and I have a fair amount of ammo. The win was $390 and after tax and fees I paid $477. A search on the serial number at Ruger.com shows that it was shipped last year. Considering that in any of the local gun stores I would pay a minimum of $650 (taxes not included) I can't complain. I've been wanting an SP-101 and they aren't easy to find anymore. At least not here in my corner of America. I've looked into ordering one and I was told it would be several weeks (an optimistic estimate) with no definite date of delivery. Evidently Ruger is back ordered several months. This is alright. I replaced the black plastic grip panels with the old wooden ones that came with my GP-100 3". I got the new panels from Ruger. Anyway, it isn't a pre-war M&P Target, but it's something that I have been wanting. Notice how the cylinder is slightly tapered. Looks like Ruger is using the cylinders from the Wiley Clapp SP-101 model. I like the Ruger grips and they'll stay on my revolvers. I actually owned an SP for a few months back in 2005, but I traded it off for something and as the years have gone by, I've regretted doing that. Yes, it's a bit of a chunk, but it's strong and reliable. I'll hold onto this one.

Last edited by Jcordell; 08-30-2022 at 07:33 AM.