View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 08:34 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
All I'm saying is clip is now modern vernacular for magazine.
Well, sure, but the actual meaning of the words doesn't match common usage. That's not really uncommon (for example, it's really common to call a weapon system like Phalanx a "turret" when it's correctly called an "installation" since it doesn't cross the armour of the thing it's mounted on) and in conversation as long as the person you're talking to understands what you mean it doesn't matter, but it's still not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Although I always use the term "magazine" myself, I think it's way too OCD and Aspergian to constantly correct others who use the wrong term.
While I'd agree obsessing over it isn't good and people go overboard, it's the same question as if someone you know is trying to use deodorant to cover that they haven't washed (and failing). Sure, they might take offence if you tell them, or they might honestly not know it isn't working and be glad you saved them embarassing themselves. And in the end it isn't your fault for pointing it out unless you're a dick about doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Apparently, this was acceptable at the time, before the Mazryonhs of the world gained the ability to proselytize over the Internet.
Well, it's more that someone who uses a weapon for a living doesn't really have to care too much about what the correct terms are for the various bits of it. For, say, the guy at the depot trying to work out if the guys on the front want thirty cases of preloaded mags or thirty cases of stripper clips, then it's a bit more of an issue. (Let's not even get into things like what ground crews think of pilots' knowledge of their aircraft).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Well a TEC-9 can be a machine-gun by the basic dictionary or the US legal meaning of a firearm shooting more than one bullet with a pull of the trigger.
Well yeah, but by the US legal meaning a sear can be a machine gun, even though a sear isn't a gun at all.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 04-29-2012 at 09:27 AM.