View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
Typically fictional gun designs aren't entirely make believe, though. Graphic designers will generally work from reference images, airsoft guns or real weapons to get a sense of authenticity. Now, in Perfect Dark the guns are so "Elmer Fudd" that it's like arguing over the shape of a cloud, but in more modern games the influences are often obvious enough to call. For example, that shotgun in Human Revolution is either based heavily on the SRM Arms weapon or a designer managed to make up a gun that looked exactly like it. The others, the resemblance is worth pointing out as long as you say it's a "fictional weapon with features of weapon X" rather than "this is weapon X." FEAR 2 is typically used as the standard for such things.

I'd differentiate between that and really made-up guns (eg the laser and plasma cannon which are *not* on the Human Revolution page). Also, Human Revolution has some actual, real guns in it which could be screencapped (mostly on magazine covers in the game world).
Which is why I only deleted the SMG and the handgun because they don't look close enough to the real thing. Oh yeah, they look KINDA like the real thing with bits of other things, but they don't look enough like the real thing. The handgun looks nothing like any 1911 variant to me and saying it has P99 characteristics already ends the discussion for me.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”