View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Site Manager

Default Server changes over the weekend

Over the weekend I took some steps to improve the speed and security of the site. Most importantly the entire site has been placed behind a CDN (content delivery network). What this means is that we now have a third party service which is storing copies of our data on their servers around the world. Now, whenever you visit imfdb, you are pulling data from the server that is closest to you! This takes a tremendous load off of our server. Page load times have been SIGNIFICANTLY improved - we've gone from an average load time of 30 seconds to 3 seconds, and less than a second on small pages.

Additionally, because this CDN is made up of thousands of websites, anytime a spammer is caught spamming on any site in the network they are blocked on all sites in the network. We should see a serious reduction in spamming on both the wiki and the forums.

Unintended consequences.

Ben41 has reported a couple issues.

1. Screenshots that are overwritten are not changing immediately. This is because while your edit has gone through, the server you happen to be pulling the image from has not been updated yet.

2. You are challenged with a captcha when uploading screenshots. This is part of the new security measures to stop spammers from uploading garbage.

Both of these settings can be adjusted on my end. I can force the cache to update faster and I can lower the security settings so hopefully it won't be triggered when uploading screenshots.

Can you guys let me know if you're running into any other annoying issues and we can tweak the settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
He doesn't. He just floats around and lets the members of the Imperium decide on the fate of condemned pages. He gave the membership the power and thus trusts us to use it wisely.......