View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krel View Post
At least you have more of a variety now. In the fifties and sixties all you saw were Lugers and P38s. In the thirties and forties, until after WWII all you saw were Lugers. In the seventies you started to see S&W autos, H&K P9S's and VP70s. The big 9mm of the 80s and early to mid 90s was the H&K P7, but I haven't seen of of those in a while.

What I find curious is that you rarely saw Browning Hi-Powers, and when you did it was almost always a background actor with one. The only 60s show I can remember with a Hi-Power as the hero's weapon was "Man In A Suitcase". Wasn't that a British show? I wonder why they didn't get featured in U.S. shows. The movie, "The Usual Suspects" made up for that though. Even pistols that were not Hi-Powers turned into them after the main actors got them!

David.
Hmmm, I've definitely seen the Browning HP in plenty of 70s movies - "McQ", "Serpico", "The French Connection II", etc. Don't think I've ever seen the VP70 in anything made before the 80s, though...

Also, what do you mean that the P7 was the "big 9mm" of the 80s and early to mid 90s? Wouldn't that title be much more appropriate if given to the Beretta 92F?