View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Exactly. It's kind of like the way that everyone used to think it was common sense that the world was flat.

I do think it's kind of stupid to accuse them of being "communists", though (which isn't to say I have any taste for Marxism, just that I think it's an unfair comparison).
Communist is not being bandied around like the original term "Communist" i.e. steeped in Marxist/Leninist ideology or a "party member". I still use the term when I speak of 'stomping on the rights of the individual for a "perceived benefit" to the group" mentality. In that respect ... they ARE communist (but since most folks are confused and think of Communist only in the official political party context, tis better to use a different term.)

What is interesting is that these leftists/neo-liberals are embracing the exact ideology as espoused by the classic Marxists .... (a) individual rights are trumped by "the state" (b) no private firearms ownership (c) only the "state" has the monopoly on deadly force (d) power DOES come from the barrel of a gun (mao) and only the enlightened forces of "the state" should have that type of power, (e) redistribution of wealth as a means of maintaining political power, (f) making the masses reliant on "the State" for all their needs, etc. etc. It's the embodiment of "Brave New World" and "1984" (the books) in the real world.

But most guys who throw out the word "commie" don't even think in those terms.