View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Heck, all a man needs is a Heavy Duty with two speedloaders on his sam browne belt. If things get too bad, there should be an Ithaca riot gun clipped to the dash.

Well, it just looks like your wife had the buyer's remorse you didn't. I'd chalk this one up as a win all around.
There you go. I have (well the department has it) a photo from 1943 of an officer with my department. He's got what appears to be a large framed Colt New Service revolver in a cross-draw holster with a lanyard cord (and a Sam Browne belt to include the suspender) and is holding a Stevens 520 Riot Gun. He's wearing the classic police officer hat, looks to be in his forties (who knows possibly a World War I vet?) and he just looks tough.

Standing next to him is another uniformed officer with a S&W M&P on his strong side. It has a six inch barrel which I know because the holster is designed for a 4" model. There are two inches of barrel sticking out from the holster. The best part is he's wearing an old brown wool Cardigan sweater over his uniform and has his hat kicked back over his head. Looks to be in his sixties and has a big old happy smile on his face. Funniest photo you've ever seen.

My wife said that the happy old grandpa probably shot and killed a few suspects in his time and the tough looking marine corp cop is probably a rookie. It was in the middle of World War II and manpower was at a premium.

I've got to scan that photo and post it. I'll see if I can get it from our department historian (i.e. The Chief).

Last edited by Jcordell; 04-02-2013 at 02:44 PM.