View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
For those not in the know:

http://www.businessinsider.com/dick-...terview-2014-1

What do y'all think?
We've reached a point where many in the pro gun community don't trust the other side .... with ANYTHING. We're sick of decades of them chirping "Reasonable restrictions" and getting on OUR case for being against 'reasonable' restrictions. The problem is simple. They cannot be trusted. Period. Anything remotely reasonable will be turned into UNREASONABLE with the stroke of a pen. We have to be wary. Those who are not are fools.

One - registration. People forget that decades ago Cincinnati required registration of so called 'assault weapons' back in the 1980s. They argued 'we're not taking them away from you. What's the big deal?" Surely enough, after the Stockton Shooting in feb 1989, Cincinnati sent letters to all AW owners telling them to 'turn them in'. Saying that they would never confiscate guns was a bold faced LIE.

Two: training and certification. Sounds good and I generally support it, but I don't want an anti gun bureaucrat deciding WHAT training is needed and WHAT certification is needed. They'll go out of their way to make the Training needlessly difficult, expensive and inconvenient and they'll slowly make certification more and more difficult to get or renew, making it either more expensive or eventually giving the power of 'renewal' to another anti gun bureaucrat who decides unilaterally that 'you don't need to own a gun' and declines your renewal.

So my take on Metcalf is that he is a FOOL to not at least acknowledge that the other side has proven time and time again that they cannot be trusted. Blaming 'hardliners' for not giving ground, ignores the ugly history of the gun control wars over the last 50 years. He assumes we live in a rational word where the opponents can be trusted. Their constant (and provable) duplicity breeds hardline resistance.