View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Dell Computers was one of the founders of the modern version of JIT (Just in Time) supply chain, i.e. you don't make anything until it's needed or else you calculate how much is needed and replacement items arrive at the sellers "Just In Time". Of course this is great if you don't want to have inventory sitting around. Modern Commercial goliaths like Home Depot, Anheuser Busch, and others have this 'create or order' product to hit the shelves JUST before it's needed' to a science.....

(unfortunately the guns industry doesn't work as well).....

This column is an interesting read.....
Just in Time is common. No manufactures want to sit on a large supplies of unsold goods. The ammo manufactures did have back up supplies but high demand did them in.

Ammo price shot up in the last couple of years because there are more and more new people owning firearms.

Keep in mind that the US military owns its own ammo factory called Lake City (head stamped L C) and operate 24/7. The military does not get their ammo from civilians manufacturers.

Quote:
I went to a sporting goods store near me that had a whole section of firearms and ammo. A couple months ago all their AR-15s are gone, they had a sweet AR-10 , which is also gone and almost 3/4 of their handsguns are also gone. A couple days ago, I went back to check again, and the store was closing down. I went straight to the gun section. All the ammo were gone and only a handful of bolt action rifles, some shotguns, and a couple revolvers are left.
Most AR15 manufacture have at least a six month back order. Working six days and 20 hour shifts could not meet the high demands for AR15. When Brownells has a back order of over 500,000 PMAGS and growing, it gets to a point of hording.