Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersoz View Post
Posted in the zombiehunters.org WTF guns thread, thought I'd share:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforce71
Why would a LEVER-action rifle need a water cooled barrel? Is it for people who are so hyper that they can somehow shoot it faster than, oh, 60 rounds/min? What's the world record for the fastest set of multiple shots with a lever action rifle? I think I'll need to swig 20 cans of Mana to get anywhere NEAR that speed. And Mana is TWICE as strong as Red Bull.
If I recall rightly, it's from Turkey or that part of the world, so who knows what they might have been on. It's based on the long barreled Musket version of the '66... Would be in 44 rimfire and be blackpowder cartridge. Now back a few years, I had a Ballard Sporting rifle (single shot/manual extraction) from 1864, it had a cracked breach block so I had one done up in 44/40, so I could reload and use it. I could fire 18 aimed shots a minute with it and sustain that for 8-10 minutes with ease. Now, after the first 2-3 the forearm wood stock got so hot, I could not hold it without good leather gloves. By the 8-10 minute mark, I couldn't hold it even with the gloves... Now, I'm not sure how fast you could fire a king improved Henry. I know I could outshoot the Henry Rifles, but their loading sucks. I could stay ahead of the Spencer carbine guy with a Blakely box for reloading...

So, I'm guessing you could shoot this fast enough with 44rf ammo to heat it up good. Remember the old guns don't disperse heat nearly as well as new ones go. Heat was just starting to be an issue...