View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The notion of violent content is not actually true. We rarely have heads exploding or viscera on pages (there are very few pages of real gore). The vast majority of the shots are people FIRING guns. And we don't have any real gory shots on the main page.
But my point from earlier was, if a person is offended by profanity, aren't they just as likely to be offended by guns and anything related to violence? In which case, they're going to hate our site regardless of the profanity? The fact that we don't show "gore" isn't necessarily going to be relevant to such people; the fact that we are a GUN site is what's likely to offend them in the first place.

And as I've said before, everyone I know who likes guns also swears, though that's an anecdote.

Quote:
So I don't buy that "we have violent content" arguement. It's phony. Network TV will show violence, but they bleep out the profanity. Our society can accept some violence, but profanity is still offensive to some.
Personally, I think that's kind of ridiculous. It's OK to show some dude on TV mowing down lots of people with an automatic weapon, but a use of the "F-word", or a glance at a woman's nipples = evil? (and remember that on European TV, they're allowed to show tits, and they do) I always figured death was worse than profanity or nudity, but apparently, people disagree. Go figure...

Quote:
The Profanity looks unprofessional. I know that kids LOVE profanity. I can usually tell scripts written by high schoolers in that the profanity is ridiculous. Don't count Tarantino or the Script of Scarface, those are anomalies and rightfully so.

It's one of many issues in which there is an AGE gap of what is acceptable. I find the excessive profanity objectionable in that I don't want to be embarrassed when I show the page to others.
First of all, I agree with you that excessive profanity used by IMFDB members in conversation is immature, and that's why I keep telling Oliveira to watch how much he swears. THAT makes us look unprofessional, and I've told him so.

But quoting what ACTORS have said in a MOVIE is just not the same thing. I don't think you should be embarrassed to show your friends what the directors/screenwriters/actors in the movies were comfortable making up.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-05-2009 at 03:42 PM.