View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 PM

Another old Winchester lever gun, this one being the genuine article. It's an 1895 Saddle Ring Carbine in .30-40 Krag that I got a really good deal on. This one was made in 1915, just before commercial production was suspended while they started making Musket models for the Russian government. The 1895 SRC was actually widely used by irregular forces in the Mexican revolution, although the gentleman I bought this from said he bought it in Alaska in the 60s from someone who had carried it while working on the famous Alaskan highway. A factory letter on this might be in order!

This is a Italian Carcano M91 Fucile made at Terni in 1897. It's in kind of rough shape but I got it for just over $100 so I'll live with it! This was the standard Italian rifle of WW1 and for many years after, this is of course a very early example with a mismatched bolt but otherwise original. It's in 6.5mm Carcano of course and has the standard Carcano 6 round magazine. The only really technically unique thing about these is the gain twist rifling - the rifling twist starts out slow at the breech and gets much faster at the muzzle in order to minimize wear and tear.

This is a Boer Mauser 1896 made by Ludwig Loewe, and carved with the name of the Boer who owned it (very common practice since the Boers didn't have a standing army but a militia in which a soldiers rifle was his private property). I actually have an identical rifle in better shape, but the fellow selling it didn't know what he had and priced it too cheap to pass up!

This is a Siamese Arisaka Type-66, made in Japan for Thailand (at time still called Siam) in the late 20s and the standard issue Thai rifle when they fought the French in Indochina in 1940 and then as Japanese allies from 1942. This isn't the more familiar Siamese Mauser Type-45 but the rifle that replaced it. It's basically an Arisaka Type-28 but in the larger caliber, with different sights and a shorter butt, as well as some small changes in the barrel bands and cleaning rod. There are, oddly enough, no interchangable parts with the Japanese Arisaka. The really neat thing for me is that it's marked entirely in Thai script, whereas even Japanese Arisakas use English numbering.

Last edited by Nyles; 09-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.