View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Haven't posted here in awhile, but I've acquired some interesting guns I'll fill in here as time permits.

I'll start with a German Reichsrevolver 1879 in 10.6mm German Ordnance that I picked up from Cabelas in Buda, Tx while on vacation in the US. This was the first issued service pistol of the German Empire after unification, and though it was supplanted by the lighter 1884 model and replaced by the Luger, it was still issued to some NCOs in WW1, particularly in artillery units. The Reichsrevolver is a single-action design (one of very few made in Europe, where the double action was popular long before the US), with an applied safety catch. It's loaded via a gate like the Colt SAA, but to reload you pivot down the lever in front of the cylinder, which releases the axis pin (which doubles as the ejector rod) and cylinder to be emptied. A slow and unnecessarily complex system, but these were very tough, reliable guns which were used for a very long period. This one is in very nice shape, mostly matching, and is unit marked to the ordnance column of the 6th field artillery regiment.