Thread: Ads!!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
Ads=money for site=more space for pages on movies nobody's ever heard of, much less seen.
yeah, I hear you. But there are two distinct philosophies at work at IMFDB.

(a) Theory A : (which I originally had and still lean towards) is the theory that we have a limited number of movie pages, only pages that are 100% complete and professional looking and only films where the firearm has a noteworthy role in the film. Not a movie where the firearm is completely incidental. My litmus test here is whether or not people even know the movie and whether or not they will 'ever' ask the question, "What guns were in that movie?" (I'm not so hot on having a page for 'the obscure cinema of Khazakstan" because I know that 99.99% of the visitors here would have never seen it)

(b) Theory B: We should be like IMDB. We should be the ultimate and complete movie database of every movie EVER MADE that had a GLIMPSE of a firearm in it. There are positive aspects to THIS philosophy as well, but the major downside is that IMDB is a massive database, taking up dozens and dozens of high end servers, has tons of advertising, takes membership dues for IMDB Pro and has dozens of PAID MODS. I'm not so hot on listing every single obscure movie, but I'm not ardently opposed to them since SOMEONE had to be interested enough to make the page. But listing thousands of lame movie entries will TAX the servers for IMFDB.

Despite the two different philosophies, we can agree that we must make sure that (a) our info is accurate and (b) our pages are 100% complete and don't look like crap.

Take PhoenixEnt's pages. He makes SURE he has the page 100% complete before he creates it!