View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:51 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Bryan Singer graduated from the same high school as me, so I'm trying to help a local boy out and watch all of his movies. I think I've hit them all. Usual Suspects, X-Men 1, X-Men 2, and Valkyrie were good. Superman and Apt Pupil were okay, and Public Access was incomprehensible.

I went to a talk he did at Princeton about Superman Returns, and how the Donner films meant so much to him, and how he wanted to honor them and Christopher Reeve, who had grown up in Princeton. In the end, I think all of that got in the way of making a good movie. (I've seen the Donner Cut of Superman II, and it really wasn't that much better than the theatrical cut, if at all.)

I'm a bit frustrated that he's trying to put out yet another iteration of Battlestar Galactica. How many versions of BSG can the market support? I read he was trying to do an Excalibur remake too, which is another film that should be left alone.

I remember when Chris McQuarrie won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay in 1995 for Usual Suspects. He was also an alum, so it was huge at school. My English teacher had been McQuarrie's teacher as well, so he was especially proud that one of his former students had won an Oscar for writing. (Holy crap, that was half a lifetime ago. Ugh.)