Thread: "Fake" ACOGs
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Great information. Good to know, thanks.

But FYI: 99% of the optics in Movie armory inventory are REPLICAs. Why spend the $$ on good optics (and they are really expensive) for something no one will sight through and all actors/stuntmen will just bang around.

I was handling the UMPs and other weapons from the movie IRONMAN and poking around the optics and asked Mike Papac (from Cinema Weaponry) "Are any of these real?" and he said "No, they're all Airsoft fakes".

Rule of thumb, if there is a decent (even a not so decent) replica of the optic, red dot, NV, etc. available, the armorers will use THAT rather than spend the outrageous sums of money for the real deal and risk having some idiot actor break it.
I've been told by one other armorer that they do keep some real ACOGs, Holosights, and other such optics in rental inventory, and that they do get used in movies and TV shows. However, he confirmed that this is quite rare - usually only for extreme close-ups of the gun, and never in any circumstances where they expect lots of stunts and opportunities for the guns/optics to get banged around. As you've said, probably 99% of the time, the optics are the airsoft replicas.

EDIT: I just read the email again. He said that the main reason they stock the real optics is actually for the benefit of video game developers who want to study how they work so that they can model them correctly in the game.

Last edited by MT2008; 10-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.