Thread: Dream 1911?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I will never buy a colt, overrtaed company that your paying for the name, and they lack features. Most have a small safety, basic sights and no checkering. Smith and wesson has a lot of scandium commander, i want all steel, and with nightsights, good checkering, tuned trigger, smith triggers are genrally a bit heavier and there checkering real light and no tritium.

Les baer puts together some good commanders.
Man not that Colt bashing again. You may be buying a name when it comes to Colt. But they don't make shit guns. They also hold their value well too. They lack features? XSE line has extended safety, Novak sights, beavertail, etc, your choice of steel or alloy frame. Other than Taurus, very few come with checkering without paying out the ass for it. S&W, the scandium or alloy frames saves about 10oz. It may not be a pound but you'll notice the difference. When the Commander was first introduced by Colt I might add, it was only available in alloy frame the Combat steel frame came later. So a "true" Commander to me has the alloy frame. I'm pretty sure S&W triggers are already aftermarket, so they could be tuned pretty easily. My SW1911PD might have a little heavier trigger, but it's nice and clean. (I was comparing that trigger to my Springfield which has had some work done outside the factory.) The line serrations on the front strap may not grip as good as checkering. but it's better than nothing. The sights could always be upgraded to tritium ones.

Both Colt and S&W 1911s are pricey, but they're both made in the U.S. While Kimber and other custom makers are too, you'll end up paying a lot more.